Monday, September 10, 2012
Happy First Birthday - Part 2
Many emotions and thoughts leading up to this day and as it comes to a close.
Friday I thought about Benjamin's birth mother and wondered how she will handle this day? I can only imagine she thinks of him everyday and even more as his first birthday was approaching. I send her much love and support for the choices she had to make (on her own) in giving her precious little boy up for adoption. I wish her peace and comfort in coming to terms with her choice of placing her little boy in the hands of another loving family. I am thankful for her choice to to give birth and bring sweet little Benjamin into our lives : ) She will be a part of Benjamin's family and my thoughts forever.
Saturday I thought about Benjamin's foster mother and family and wondered how they would be celebrating his birthday with him? It is not a requirement of foster families to give a birthday party, but we do see many of our fellow families receiving pictures of birthday celebrations and children wearing their traditional Hanbok. I am thankful to her for whatever special treats or gestures they provided to him on his special day. We can see that Benjamin is being cared for very well by his foster mother, and appreciate everything she is providing him in our absence. However, she too will have to give him up after months of attachment. I send her strength to make it through the next few months and then the transition of him to his forever family. She too will be part of Benjamin's family and my thoughts forever.
Sunday I thought about us and how we have so many people around us that love Benjamin very much, if only by picture and simple updates. Though he could not be here on this once in a lifetime milestone, my heart is filled with happiness in that we took the time to prepare, honor, and celebrate our little guy. Knowing that turning 1 just brings us that much closer to bringing him home keeps me going. I am thankful that you all get to share in this journey with us...family, long time friends, and new adoption friends. We will all be part of Benjamin's family forever.
As another mom and friend who just brought her little guy home wrote to me, "This day will never be the same! And next year, this day will be amazing!" Indeed it will be for us!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Beautiful words Sarah...love the thoughts for his birthmother. So very true. His birthday party was a wonderful celebration and we were overjoyed to share in it with you!
ReplyDeleteYou have truly turned into the person I hoped you would be: thoughtful, compassionate, loving. I could not be prouder.
ReplyDelete