Monday, February 11, 2013

Happy Year of the Snake












February 10 marks the start of the Lunar New Year (Seollal) for many Asian countries including Korea. I can only image that our little guy is joining in the celebration with his foster family and maybe even sporting his hanbok again. Typically families celebrate the day before, the day of, and the day after with various traditions, games, and foods. What wonderful memories Benjamin will bring home with him about this major holiday. If nothing else during this long wait, I am so glad he has been able to experience Seollal twice in country...though he was only 5 months old last year.

This year Fred and I enjoyed some traditional rice cake soup which I made for the first time and was great.  As well I had the opportunity to attend a children's Lunar New Year celebration at the Urbana Library last weekend with my friend Amy and her little guy.  Looking forward to taking Benjamin next year to enjoy the Korean drummers, Tae Kwon Do demonstration, Chinese lion dance and more!




Read more about Seollal
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_6.jsp?cid=941952

Watch how to make rice cake soup

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/ddukguk

2013 is the year of the snake, which rotates with 11 other zodiac signs/animals.  Therefore, each one comes around every 12 years. People born in this year are said to be ambitious and hard working, often times to perfectionism.  So this got me thinking...what are our signs??



Benjamin & Sarah - Rabbit


  • Calm people who do not exhibit aggressive behavior and will avoid confrontation at all costs.
  • Quite keen and pays close attention to the situations developing around him.  
  • He is intelligent and quick and can talk himself in or out of most situations with no problem.
  • One of the most stylish creatures of the Chinese Animal Signs and finds interest in different cultures.
Fred - Rooster
  • Flamboyant personality, feisty and obstinate.
  • Quite the extrovert who loves to strut his stuff and is proud of who he is.
  • Outwardly confident, is also a trustworthy, hardworking individual.
  • He'll tell it like it is who no qualms or reservations.
So true in many aspects for both Fred and I.  Yet to be seen for Benjamin, but looking forward to exploring his personality and watching him grow into his own : )    

No comments:

Post a Comment